Wm. Michael Butler, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Engineering Education, Virginia Tech, 2012
M.S. Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1995
B.S. Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1989
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Vehicle Design
- Engineering Workforce Preparation
- Foundations of Engineering
- Introductory Industry Design Experience
Selected Awards & Honors
- Virginia Tech College of Engineering Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Nunally Outstanding Engineering Education Faculty Member Award
- Butler, W.M., Reid, K.J., “Introducing Engineering Students to Industry,” AIAA SciTech Forum, January 6-10, 2020, Orlando, Florida.
- Butler, W.M., “Introducing Engineering Design Through an Aerospace-Based Project,” AIAA SciTech Forum, January 7-11, 2019, San Diego, California.
- Lo, J.L., Hodges, K.J., Butler, W.M., Knott, T., “Expanded Advice from Coordinators of Large- enrollment First-year Engineering Courses,” ASEE Annual Conference, June 26-29, 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Butler, W.M., “A Study of Aerospace Engineering Student Professional Persistence,” ASEE Annual Conference, June 14-17, 2015, Seattle, Washington.
- Lockheed Martin: 1989-2013
- Virginia Tech: 2013-Present