Change of Major/Minor
Change of Major RequirementsAll engineering majors are restricted, which indicates specific requirements must be completed for students to be eligible to apply. Please review the "How to Declare an Engineering Major" document for a complete list of engineering's change of major requirements and policies. Students changing out of engineering should use the resources located here.
Application Dates and Deadlines for August 2020The College of Engineering accepts applications for majors and minors three times per year: end of spring, end of summer, end of fall. The below dates and deadlines are for the end of summer (August 2020):
- Applications accepted: August 3 - August 16
- Essay Responses available here: August 3 - August 16 (only required for non-engineering students)
- Transfer Credit survey available here: August 3 - August 19 (only required for change of major courses not displayed on Hokie Spa)
- Decisions will be sent out on Thursday, August 20 by 5 pm to your VT email account.
The College of Engineering offers a variety of engineering majors, listed below. Please refer to the "How to Declare an Engineering Major" document for a complete list of requirements and steps necessary to declare an engineering major.
Students currently in a degree-granting engineering major that wish to change their major to another degree-granting engineering major should complete the change of major application on Hokie Spa during the application dates listed on the "How to Declare an Engineering Major" document.
Degree-Granting Engineering Majors
- Aerospace Engineering (AE)
- Biomedical Engineering (BME)
- Biological Systems Engineering (BSE)
- Chemical Engineering (CHE)
- Civil Engineering (CE)
- Computer Engineering (CPE)
- Chip-Scale Integration (CSI)
- Controls, Robotics, & Autonomy (CRA)
- Machine Learning (MCHL)
- Networking & Cybersecurity (NWCS)
- Software Systems (SFTW)
- Computer Science (CS)
- Data-Centric Computing (DCC)
- Secure Computing (SC)
- Construction Engineering and Management (CEM)
- Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Communications & Networking (CMNW)
- Controls, Robotics, & Autonomy (ECRA)
- Energy & Power Electronics Systems (ERES)
- Micro/Nanosytems (MNSY)
- Photonics (PHTN)
- Radio Frequency & Microwave (RFMW)
- Space Systems (SPCS)
- Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE)
- Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
- Mechancial Engineering (ME)
- Mining Engineering (MINE)
- Ocean Engineering (OE)
- Biomedical Engineering (BME) has an additional application/interview process and does not adhere to the 3.0 guarantee. Applications for BME are only reviewed in the spring semester.
- Students must first declare Electrical Engineering (EE) or Computer Engineering (CPE). Upon completion of ECE 2804: Integrated Design Project, students may apply to declare one of the 7 electrical engineering majors (CMNW, ECRA, ERES, MNSY, PHTN, RFMW, SPCS) or 5 computer engineering majors (CPI, CRA, MCHL, NWCS, SFTW). Students may also choose to remain in EE or CPE.
The College of Engineering offers 10 minors. Please review the table below for a list of the requirements for each minor. If you have any questions about an engineering minor, please reach out to the contact listed below.
Adding an Engineering Minor:
To add an engineering minors, students should complete the College of Engineering Minor Application . The minor application will be available during the below dates:
- End of Spring 2020: May 4, 2020 - May 17, 2020
- End of Summer 2020: August 3, 2020 - August 16, 2020
- End of Fall 2020: December 14, 2020 - January 3, 2021
Dropping an Engineering Minor:
To drop a current engineering minor, students should email Natasha Smith (email@example.com).
|Biomedical Engineering||In a degree-granting engineering major
Minimum 3.0 overall GPA
|Computer Science||In a degree-granting major
Completed a CS course (1114, 2114, 2505, or 3114) at Virginia Tech with a minimum grade of a C
|CS Advising Staff
|Cybersecurity||Completed CS 3214 or ECE 3574||Joe Tront
|Engineering Science and Mechanics||None||Amanda Sandridge
|Green Engineering||None||Sean McGinnis
|Human-Computer Interaction||In a degree-granting major||CS Advising Staff
|Interdisciplinary Engineering and Science (Scieneering)||None||Christi Boone
|Naval Engineering||None||Alan Brown
|Nuclear Engineering||None||Mark Pierson
General Engineering students are encouraged to attend one of the below information sessions to ensure they understand the change of major process. Please register using the links below.
|Friday, April 24||3:30 PM - 4:30 PM||Virtual (Zoom Meeting)||Register Here|
The College of Engineering will host multiple informational workshops throughout the academic year for non-engineering students to learn about the process of becoming eligible to apply for an engineering major.
Students are required to attend one of the below workshops prior to meeting with an engineering advisor.
|Date||Time||Location||How to Register|
|Monday, August 24||5:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Virtual||Sign-Up|
|Thursday, August 27||9:00 AM - 10:00 AM||Virtual||Sign-Up|
|Tuesday, September 8||9:00 AM - 10:00 AM||Virtual||Sign-Up|
|Wednesday, September 23||4:00 PM - 5:00 PM||Virtual||Sign-Up|
Change of major decisions may be appealed using the College of Engineering Change of Major Appeals Petition. Appeals can only be submitted if you completed the change of major application and are for addressing unusual and extenuating circumstances that occured while at Virginia Tech which caused you to be denied admission to an engineering major. Students wishing to appeal their decision must submit the appeal petition according to the deadlines below.
|Change of Major Dates||Change of Major Decision Date||Appeal Deadline||Appeal Decision Date|
|End of Spring
May 4 - May 17
|May 21||May 26, 12 PM (noon)||May 27, 5 PM|
|End of Summer
August 3 - August 16
|August 20||August 24, 12 PM EDT (noon)||August 25|
|End of Fall
December 14 - January 6