Graduate Teaching Assistantship
Engineering Education Now Accepting Applications for a limited number of Spring 2018 Graduate Teaching Assistantships
Application Deadline: 11:59 pm December 5th - You must apply from campus or VPN in to fill out the application
- Enrolled in College of Engineering and pursuing MS, MEng or PhD degree and have completed at least 18 hours of graduate-level course work in an engineering discipline
- Interest in teaching first-year engineering students
- Excellent communication skills
- Candidates should be fluent in MATLAB and have experience with CAD (Inventor or SolidWorks).
- Cover letter describing relevant skills, applicable teaching/mentoring experience, teaching interest, and career goals
- Unofficial transcript showing 18 hours of graduate-level course work in an engineering discipline
- Contact information for two references within the US (please do not attach reference letters)
Desirable Qualifications (please highlight in your cover letter):
- Previous VT employment
- Knowledge of contemporary issues in engineering such as sustainability, globalization, emerging technologies, use of classroom technology
- Industry experience
- Curriculum development experience
- Interest in engineering education research
GTAs are generally assigned to teach one of two required first-year general engineering courses, which focus on an introduction to the profession and engineering thinking, problem solving, and design. Full time GTAs assigned to the first semester course (EngE 1215 or EngE 1216) will teach two 30-seat sections where each section will meet twice a week for 75 minutes. GTAs will grade all work for their sections in addition to holding office hours and attending course related content and pedagogy meetings (~1hr/week).
Candidates who are selected to interview will prepare and present a five (5) minute lesson on a topic of their choice to demonstrate their teaching style.
Questions may be addressed to email@example.com.
To apply submit your cover letter, resume, graduate transcript, and the names and contact information for two references, in the order listed, as a multi-page PDF to the link provided below. The name of the file must include your first and last names, last name first (i.e., Last_First.pdf). Click here to submit your application.