An academic advisor can help students navigate life in college, from what classes to take to how to get help. See the Academic Advising page for additional details, as well as information on scheduling appointments.



Information regarding the required first-year engineering courses, curriculum for liberal education (CLE), and major-specific courses can be located here.

Students can review what credits they have earned (through transfer credits and courses completed at VT) by viewing their Unofficial Transcript

  • Hokie Spa Transcripts and Certifications Menu View Unofficial Transcripts





Using the Transferring Credits slider located here, students can see how to transfer:

  • Advanced Placement (AP) credits
  • Cambridge credits
  • CLEP credits
  • Dual enrollment credits
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) credits
  • Other courses taken at an outside institution



To find international programs and forms, students are encouraged to review the Education Abroad tab on the Transferring Credits slider here.



  • Getting out of classes:
    • Through the first six weeks of classes → Use Hokie Spa
    • After the first six weeks of classes → Complete the Course Withdrawal Form



Students are encouraged to begin their major exploration by following the "phases for exploration" outlined in the Major and Career Exploration slider of the Resources and Help page.

Students should review the Change of Major page to learn about the process for getting into a degree-granting engineering major.

Students can learn how to get help with tutoring, academic skills, legal, medical, counseling, financial aid, housing, clubs, and other additional needs here.

Typically, the best minor or second major to add will work well with the classes needed for your primary major. Students should develop a plan of study with their advisor before adding either.

Students should visit the Office of Undergraduate Research.