Frith Engineering Design Lab
The Frith Engineering Design Laboratory (Frith Lab) is a space designed to support the retention and development of young engineers through hands-on learning, peer mentoring, and authentic problem-solving. Part collaboration and innovation space, part fabrication and prototyping space, and part learning laboratory, the Frith Lab is integrated into the first-year foundations of engineering courses and enables General Engineering (GE) students to learn by dissecting, designing, making, and analyzing engineering products.
The lab features over $150,000 worth of equipment that any GE student can use once they have completed the safety training required for a machine. The tools can be used for projects assigned in engineering classes but students are encouraged to come and use the lab for the sake of learning. Some of the main features are:
- tensile/compression materials testing machine
- 3-D printers
- laser engraver
- CNC router
- drill press
- hand tools (available for checkout)
The Frith Lab, located in 3 Randolph Hall, was renovated in 2014 and funded by Ray Frith (Agriculture Engineering, Class of 1951) and his wife Violet.
Follow the Frith Lab Facebook page to learn more about the exciting projects GE students are working on!