The Department of Engineering Education is home to all first-year and transfer engineering students. Once specific course requirements are complete, students become eligible to declare a degree granting engineering major offered at Virginia Tech.
Program Objectives and Student Outcomes
The Program Education Objective for the General Engineering Program in the Department of Engineering Education is to prepare first-year and transfer engineering students for academic success in a degree-granting engineering program. More specifically, students will
- select an engineering major that aligns with their interests and aptitudes,
- have the academic, technical, and professional knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the following year, and
- develop a sense of belonging and identification with engineering to support long-term persistence toward a degree.
These objectives are supported by a curriculum through which students will achieve the following student outcomes at the end of their first year:
- demonstrate a basic understanding of the engineering profession;
- demonstrate a basic understanding of professional skills in engineering;
- demonstrate a basic understanding of and capacity for problem solving;
- demonstrate a basic understanding of and ability in engineering software tools for mathematical analysis, data acquisition and manipulation, and graphical representation of engineering objects and processes;
- demonstrate a basic understanding of the engineering design process;